Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Learning from Group Activities

Learning from Group Activities



1.For the RLA Level 2 and Level 3 activities (see the next sections), you will again make blog or journal entries based on the following questions:
a. What are my most significant insights about myself based on my participation and feedback given my LT in these activities?
b How did I harness my strengths?  Overcome my weaknesses? To maximize my participation/contribution?


Culture’s Continuum


o   In our LT, we all belong to a mixture of tightly woven and loosely knit cultures.  There is one more person who is from Vietnam, so she also belongs to the loosely knit culture.  Two are from Philippines and 5 from India., I don’t think in our LT or in our section, we value or respect each other based on his/her status and seniority in the LT or section. We value each other and respect each other as an individual. We respect each others’ capabilities and encourage each other to make maximum contribution in the LT or in the section.
YOUR MOUTH, YOUR TIGER
LT
·         The Indian members are louder than the rest when they speak, giving an impression to the others of being dominated upon. They are very competitive.
·         While getting carried away in the discussion members of same nationality, without realising, end up speaking in their native language, giving an impression to the others of being left out of the discussion. The latter group backs off from intervening and thus lose interest in the discussion

CLASS
·         Filipinos, who are soft spoken, think of Indians as being aggressive and fast speakers
·         Except the Filipinos and the Indians, who are well versed in English, the members of other nationality find it difficult to grasp on the discussions being held due to the absence of English usage in their respective nation.
·         Members lose interest when fellow classmates of a different nationality cite examples specific to their culture or national issues. There is a loss of context to the discussion therein.Our esteemed Professors belong to the tightly woven culture. 

How do we communicate with each other?

The Learning Team is a blend of loosely knit and tightly woven cultures in terms of giving feedback, using of space, handling conflicts, handling nature, and relating to the divine, the supernatural, the ultimate.

Sharpen your listening skills to both the verbal and nonverbal behavior of people-this is master the unspoken language of culture.

We had meet the other learning team, We had lots of similarities on the readings and discussion. The discussion within LT was very fruitful especially,'What to look for in Groups'?
Real time Application of these learnings has really helped me think about the happenings in the world. What people think about me. They think I am Silent.

It is really complicated to deal with people here, all are different and just running behind grades and importance.I don't get along with people. I don't socialize much as I am allergic to smoke and I don't drink.
When i hear people talk, I see them criticizes others, Which I don't like. I can't change the thinking of others.

I am an introvert and I like to be one, just deal with myself and try to be happy and help others. Get the positive frequency. I believe in learning  from everything. I want to learn to deal with people and talk back smartly.
I have no issues with unspoken language of culture, culture continuum as I am sensitive to others and i don't interfere too much.
Your mouth, your tiger gave me lot of insights of how to communicate well. After coming to AIM, I made sure I speak slow so that non-Indians understand what I say.

  

No comments:

Post a Comment